Austin Breast Reduction
Looking for information on breast reduction surgery in Austin? At Personique, our practice has gained a reputation for excellence that spans over four decades & more than 50,000 patients treated. We have everything you need to know.
The variation in the size of "normal breasts" may be the greatest single biological variant among women. When breasts develop to a volume of more than a liter or so, they become an encumbrance for which partial amputation is the only treatment. Although correlation of breast size with general body weight is common, there are conditions of progressive breast hypertrophy, even in patients who are not generally obese, the causes of which are not known.
This can result in breasts so large that the nipples migrate below the waist and the weight may be too great to be carried. Breast reduction can now be accomplished in such a way that a reasonably sized and shaped breast can be achieved. Usually, nipple sensation and lactation remain intact. Very large breasts, with a super sternal notch to nipple distance greater than 40 centimeters and measuring liters in volume, may require nipple removal and replacement as a skin graft, in which case sensation and lactation are not likely.
What To Expect During Surgery
The specific technique used for your Austin breast reduction procedure may vary. Typically, an incision is made around the nipple, then downward on the breast (reminiscent of a keyhole). Once the incision has been made, excess fat, skin and tissue is removed from the breast. In most cases, the areola and nipple remain attached to the breast. However, if the breasts are very droopy, then the nipple and areola may need to be removed and repositioned to a higher area on the breast for better cosmetic results.
After your breast reduction surgery is performed, dressings or bandages will be applied to the incisions. An elastic bandage or support bra may be worn to minimize post-op swelling and provide support for the breasts during the healing process. You will be given specific instructions on how to best care for yourself during breast reduction recovery and speed up the healing process.
Post-Op Breast Reduction Recovery Period
Breast reduction recovery varies from patient to patient based on the extent of their procedure, their personal healing rate and pain tolerance. There are no parameters set in stone on when you can return to work and regular activities after surgery, but most patients take anywhere from 1 -2 weeks off from work or school to provide ample time for healing. If all post-operative care instructions are followed properly, most patients with sedentary (desk jobs) are able to return sooner.
The First Week
As with any major surgical procedure, the first few days after surgery are the most challenging. Most women will experience some breast pain during the first few days of their breast reduction recovery period, and then only mild discomfort for a week or so longer. Any pain or discomfort after breast reduction surgery can be controlled by taking the prescribed pain medication regularly.
You will be provided with a specialized support bra to wear for several weeks after your surgery. This compression garment/recovery bra helps to reduce post-operative swelling, speed up your recovery process and achieve better results. Swelling and bruising may last for several weeks
The majority of patients are "laid up" for a few days but are generally able to return to light activities within 7 – 10 days. Heavy lifting and any type of strenuous exercise should be delayed for 4 – 6 weeks. During this time period, exercise should be limited to gentle activities like light walking.
The Long Term
It can take anywhere from six months to a year to fully recover from breast reduction surgery before your final results become evident. To ensure that your recovery is going smoothly you should attend all follow-up appointments and give our office a call at any time should you have questions or concerns.
You may experience numbness of the breast and nipple for up to a year. This will continue to improve over time. You will also have visible scars on your breasts after your breast reduction surgery. Breast reduction incisions are placed in areas that can be easily covered by a bra or swimsuit. Though the scars will not disappear completely, with proper care, they will fade over time.
Cost Of Breast Reduction Surgery
The cost of breast reduction surgery in Austin varies from patient to patient depending on the individual's condition and the extent of the procedure. There are many different factors that affect the final cost of breast reduction, which makes it difficult to provide an exact cost for the surgery. Each surgical procedure will be influenced by the patient's own goals and their unique anatomy.
For instance, procedures that require the removal of a significant amount of breast tissue will be more time intensive. Surgeries that require more time in the operating room will increase the cost of the procedure. Likewise, if the patient is having a breast lift at the same time as her breast reduction surgery, this will also affect the final cost of surgery.
Other Factors That Affect Cost
In addition to the complexity of your procedure and the length of time it takes, there are several other basic fees that will influence the cost of breast reduction surgery.
- Surgeon's Fee: Surgeon's fees vary based on the doctor's experience, reputation and skill level. Experienced plastic surgeons who are in high demand typically charge a higher surgeon's fee. When it comes to a surgical procedure, it is essential that you choose a surgeon who has a good reputation and is experienced in performing the procedure you are pursuing. Therefore, price shopping is not the best way to go about choosing a surgeon. Think about the importance of your appearance and your health when considering a surgeon's fee. What you are paying for in the end is decades of training and practice, and the wealth of experience and knowledge obtained over a successful career.
- Geographic Area: Like most services and products, plastic surgery costs vary from city to city. Where you live and where you choose to have your breast reduction surgery will also influence the final cost of your procedure.
- Anesthesia Fee: The anesthesia fee will also be included in your final cost of breast reduction. This fee generally covers the cost of equipment, supplies, medications and hospital personnel used for anesthesia.
- Facility Fee: The facility fee covers the hospital or outpatient surgical center where your breast reduction procedure is performed. This includes the cost of the staff that takes care of patients as well as the supplies, equipment, and instruments used during your procedure.et A Free Breast Reduction Quote
Reasons For Undergoing Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery has and continues to help countless women take back their lives and start living again. In addition to physical hindrance, overdeveloped breasts can cause women a number of psychological issues as well. Studies show that after undergoing a breast reduction to remove excess breast tissue, the majority of patients experience a significant improvement in self-esteem and body image.
Below are some of the more common reasons why women choose to undergo breast reduction surgery in Austin:
- Chronic Pain - The weight of over-sized breasts can cause many women to experience chronic or long-lasting pain in the back, neck, and shoulders, this can sometimes even lead to headaches. The physical discomfort and chronic pain caused by overdeveloped breasts can have a significantly negative effect on the overall quality of an individual's life.
- Nerve Damage - Overly large breasts can cause a woman to alter her posture, with the shoulders rolled forward. This can put excessive pressure on an area in the upper body called the "thoracic outlet." Extra pressure in this region can cause nerves and blood vessels to be compressed, resulting in pain or tingling in the upper extremities.
- Exercise Impediment - Large, pendulous breasts can become a substantial limitation on a woman's ability to lead an active lifestyle. Large breasts can be a hindrance in physical exercises like running, jump roping, yoga, etc. This physical impediment, in addition to the self-consciousness that a woman may experience when partaking in these activities, can prevent an individual from enjoying the mental and physical benefits of leading a healthy, active life.
- Skin Irritations - It is not uncommon for women with over-sized breasts to develop yeast infections, rashes and other skin irritations beneath the breasts. It can be difficult to keep this area dry if sweat cannot evaporate. When this occurs, heat rash can develop. Other skin issues include chafing, stretch marks and deep grooves or indentations on the shoulders as a result of bra strap pressure.
- Psychological Issues - Women with excessively large breasts may suffer from a poor self-body image. Having extremely large breasts often affects the clothing choices a woman has and can cause her to feel self-conscious in certain situations, such as wearing a swimsuit. Some women may feel that their large breasts cause them unwanted attention, and in some cases, may even feel that they are being pigeonholed because of their large bust.
Breast reduction surgery in Austin can help address all of the above issues. The procedure is a great solution for alleviating a number of medical problems while allowing a woman to feel more comfortable and confident in her own skin.
Male Breast Reduction - Gynecomastia Surgery
Overdeveloped breasts are not however solely an issue that women face. Many men will develop enlarged breast tissue due either to obesity, or a condition known as Gynecomastia. For males, the stigmatization of enlarged breasts can be even more difficult, particularly for younger men and adolescents. Fortunately, surgical intervention is available for males also when it comes to overdeveloped breast tissue. A smoother chest contour can be achieved via direct incision and lipoplasty.
Schedule A FREE CONSULTATION
Have more questions about breast reduction recovery? Schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with Personique in Austin. Get questions to your breast reduction surgery questions answered by an expert in a comfortable and pressure-free environment. Call (512) 459-6800 or fill out the appointment request form on this page.